CASEing the Catalog - Updated

Challenges Can Make You Stretch Yourself

I participated in the "CASEing the Catty Sunday Challenge" Facebook Group's Challenge this week.  (How did I do you ask? Scroll to the bottom to see, if you're one of those people who reads the ends of books early!) The group is out of Australia; I have been a member of the group for a while and have followed along but this is the first challenge I have participated in...mostly because I've usually realized that it's the last Saturday of the challenge and I'm not sure what time/day of the week it is in Australia!  I got in on this on early this time so I completed my card early! Yay me for figuring out how to win the time zone/date line thing! LOL

Last week's challenge was to CASE (in case you don't know, CASE means Copy And Share Everything) something on Page 36 of the Annual Catalog (That's the Magnolia Lane Suite).  

This isn't the whole catalog page, FYI, but it does show the card that I CASEd.
I decided to CASE the large card in the center at the bottom.  It is a large magnolia blossom on a premade card base.  The flower is tilted to the left, there are floral decorations around the outside of the vellum that is over the card front and the message is toward the right bottom.  These are the elements I chose to focus on CASEing.

I don't have the premade kraft cards that go with the Magnolia Lane Suite, but I do have the ones that go with the Bird Ballad Suite.

Bird Ballad Laser-cut Cards & Tin

The premade cards from the Bird Ballad Suite are Very Vanilla and the fronts are Laser-cut in a pretty circular lace motif.  Premade card element 👍

The next thing I needed was a large flower. One of my favorite new bundles is the Band Together Bundle.  It has a large stem of flowers and leaves that is perfect for coloring with Stampin' Blends.  I chose that stamp as my focal point for the card.  I colored it with the Daffodil Delight and Granny Apple Green Blends.

There is a die that cuts out the largest flower so you can either use the flower alone or pop up that flower over the one on the stem for a little drama!

With the flower selected, colored and fussy cut - the second element on my list 👍

Since I already had this out I was looking at the dies and I wondered if I could use the outside filigree part of the largest "band" as the decorative element (like the part that is on the vellum in the card I am CASEing).  I cut out two of the "bands" from Crushed Curry Cardstock and then I cut out the centers using the oval die that is included in the set.  I trimmed off the band portions from both of them and then carefully cut them into quarters.  I first tried placing the quarters around the outside of the rectangle, but that just didn't fit well nor look very harmonious.  Then I placed them around the inside circle of the card with the filigree part facing out.  They actually looked pretty good from the front!

I stuck them in place on the circle with glue dots and then went back with my Embossing Buddy to make sure the glue dots that showed through the front of the card weren't sticky anymore. (You just pounch the Embossing Buddy around on the various spots until they stop being sticky!)  I put a piece of Very Vanilla cardstock on the inside of the card to protect the delicate filigree; this also made it show up better sine it stayed pressed against the Crushed Curry all of the time it enhanced the color and the contrast with the lace card front. Decorative Vellum edging 👍

Heck, the easiest part is left!  All I need now is a message! I used one of the Sentiments from the Band Together stamp set.  This is a very versatile sentiment; I'm leaving the inside blank until I need to use it because it can be for a birthday, wedding, baby, anniversary, just about anything really!

I stamped the sentiment in Crumb Cake and punched it out with the Lovely Label Punch because I thought a square-edged punch or cut shape would be too harsh with all of the soft shapes in this card.


And then because I love it because it's just so beautiful, I used a bow from the Crushed Curry 3/8" Crinkled Seam Binding rather than from twine like the card that I was CASEing.
Sentiment 👍
Ribbon 👍

I think it turned out nicely, don't you?

This week's "CASEing the Catty Sunday Challenge" is to use the colors (and/or the DSP) that are in the Pressed Petals DSP and the layouts from pages 72-74 in the Catty.  Why don't you join the group on Facebook and play along too?

Joyful Stamping,
Elizabeth

Update:
I won the challenge! Hooray! What was my prize you might ask?  It was these two badges! My win is forever immortalized in digital history!






Comments

Popular Posts