Magnolia Mash-up

Not Everything is Better "Colorized"

I've been explaining to my team and my customers that we don't have to reinvent the wheel every time we design a card.  Yes, designing your own card is rewarding, and there are times when it is both appropriate and rewarding, but CASEing can be just as much fun and can stretch your creativity as much as creating from scratch can. Take the black and white Good Morning Magnolia card that I made below, for example.  This is a CASE mash-up.  I  saw a  watercolored magnolia card that had a 3-D magnolia like this that I loved and wanted to try out.  I saw a different card that had a black and white magnolia that had been stamped in black, highlighted with one of the gray Stampin' Blends, and then die cut.  It was on a background stamped with gray magnolia buds. Really...are there any truly new ideas in stamping?  Aren't we all CASEing something? Enough Philosophy for today, back to stamping!!

I love this card so much!  I had to stop myself from making a whole bunch of them.  But come to think of it, this would make a particularly beautiful sympathy card, so maybe I do need to make more of them!

I actually can't think of an occasion when you couldn't use this card.  Just change the message, use rhinestones or sequins instead of pearls, maybe flick with a pastel marker instead of black and you can have a card for anyone.

To add the black speckles, I flicked the brush end of a Basic Black Stampin' Write Marker with the cap of the marker.  I'm a messy stamper so I put a paper towel down under the card front to catch any stray speckles!  My beginning speckles were small so I flicked harder to get the larger ones.


I used the light Smoky Slate Stampin' Blend to enhance the highlights on the stamp.  I feel that the artist who drew the stamp has already shown us where the folds and creases are on this magnolia and its leaves with the dark areas and lines.  I used the blend to highlight and enhance those areas, and to give it more of a black/gray/white feel.
To make the magnolia on this card, I stamped the magnolia three times using the Stamparatus. I use the Stampatatus on all large stamps when I stamp them because sometimes it's hard to get all of a large stamp to stamp either completely or to the same darkness level on the whole stamp.  By using the stamparatus, I can reink the stamp and stamp multiple times in the exact same location!  The first one I stamped, blended, and die cut.  Then I used Tombow multipurpose glue to attach it to the card front.  
The second magnolia I stamped and cut out using the die.  Then I cut out the whole flower.  I blended it and then snipped some of the petals apart where the overlapped so that I could curl all of the petals separately. I wanted to curl them in the direction that they came out from the center of the flower, so snipping some of them made this easier.  
The third magnolia I stamped, cut out using the die, and then cut out just the five petals that touch the center (plus the center).  I didn't need to snip apart these petals; I just curled them all up.
I attached the second petal to the first magnolia with a dimensional (line up the centers) and the third to the second with a dimensional (again, line up the centers).  I think that if you look at all four of the pictures you can get a pretty good idea of how pretty the flower is in 3-D!

I added this close up of the "Hello" as an object lesson for my customers!  I'm always going on about using the embossing buddy when we emboss in class.  Well, as you can see, I forgot!  Look at it!  See all of those little white spots?  That's what happens when you don't use the embossing buddy before you stamp the sentiment with Versamark! LOL

I stamped the "Hello" stamp with Versamark ink on Basic Black cardstock (note the missing step here is to pounce the Embossing Buddy on your cardstock first!), sprinkled on White Stampin' Emboss Powder, and heat embossed it with the Heat Tool.  I notched the end with my paper snips, and attached it with Stampin' Dimensionals.  I mounted the Whisper White panel on a card base of Thick Whisper White so it would have plenty of weight to hold up the heavy card front.

I didn't stamp anything inside this card because I wanted to leave room to write a note, but it would be cute to add the magnolia bud in one of the corners.

I hope you enjoyed this black and white CASE mash-up today!

Joyful Stamping,
Elizabeth

Product List

Comments

Popular Posts